Fertility & IVF

The journey to starting a family is not always straight forward

Fertility & IVF

The journey to starting a family is not always straight forward. It can be a confusing and emotionally difficult time when things don’t go to plan. Often couples who don’t fall pregnant will start to question their own health and consider whether they have any issues that are affecting their path to pregnancy.

Around 80% of women with regular menstrual cycles who have unprotected sex will fall pregnant within the first 12-months of trying and 92% will have conceived after 2-years. So what should you do if you find yourself struggling to get pregnant. It is important to consult a medical professional for up-to-date advice but we have included some of the important areas to consider.

 Subfertility

 Subfertility is the term used to describe a delay in getting pregnant. Around 1 in 6 couples will struggle to fall pregnant in a 12-month period. So after a year of trying your GP should be the first place to look for further advice. Your GP will be able to advise you of the next steps and may suggest investigations for you and your partner. There are a number of common issues that can affect a couples chances to conceive.

Common issues and diagnosis

Several common causes of subfertility that might be affecting your chances to conceive include:

  • ovulatory problems
  • endometriosis
  • damaged fallopian tubes
  • pelvic adhesions
  • uterine abnormalities
  • abnormalities of sperm
  • advancing female age
  • Poor sperm quality

These common issues account for around 90% of cases or subfertility and the remaining 10% of couples may have ‘unexplained’ subfertility (subfertility without a cause).

NHS funding of IVF

The NHS funding policy for assisted conception treatments such as Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) or In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) varies across different areas in the UK. The NICE guidance advises that a couple with subfertility problems should have three IVF cycles. A patient’s entitlement to NHS funded fertility treatment depends on the postcode of the GP surgery with whom they are registered. There is currently no national policy that applies to all patients across the UK. If you are unsure of your entitlement then check now on www.fertilityfairness.co.uk

Choosing an IVF clinic

Choosing the fertility clinic that is right for you does not need to be a leap into the unknown. It can be a frustrating and confusing time hearing that you need to start fertility treatment. There is a lot to consider when making those initial steps of deciding where to have treatment. It is important to carefully consider the clinics are available in your area and this can be done easily on www.totalfertility.co.uk

We have included a number of top tips to consider when making your choice.

Read the Top Tips, here.
12 Frequently Asked Questions

Helpful Websites

 

SHARE