Wellbeing of Women has changed, saved and transformed the lives of mothers all over the world. We know that the most valuable gift you can possess is good health, so this Mother’s Day, we ask you to donate £5 to Wellbeing of Women’s research to help more women and mothers lead healthy and happy lives.
Text WELL44 £5 to 70070 to donate £5 today to Wellbeing of Women
We have achieved so much over the last 53 years to help mums & babies everywhere, help us invest in more vital research this Mother’s Day. Here are just some of our achievements:
- Our very first grant discovered that a lack of folic acid was a factor in congenital malformation. Today all pregnant women are advised to take folic acid.
- Fetal monitoring and antenatal diagnosis of conditions such as Down’s syndrome.
- The use of BOTOX® to treat overactive bladder syndrome.
- The pioneering use of CyberKnife® technology – targeted radiotherapy to treat gynaecological cancers.
- In the last 12 months our research has led to the discovery of two new drugs to be used to combat womb cancer, a deadly disease claiming more lives than ever before.
- Our funding helped introduce the HPV vaccine for teenage girls to help guard against cervical cancer.
- The establishment of the first fetal medicine centre in the UK under the directorship of world class authority Professor Kypros Nicolaides.
- The use of innovative cooling as a treatment for newborns at risk of brain damage.
- Critical work showing that events occurring during fetal life can have a long- term impact on adult health.
- The creation of the Baby Bio Bank, the most comprehensive in the world containing 7000 samples from families who have experienced pregnancy complications, now used to enable worldwide research into conditions such as miscarriage.
- The development of safe and effective use of lasers for cervical cancer.
- Establishment of the Harris-Wellbeing Preterm Birth Centre in Liverpool Women’s Hospital, an international hub of world-class research into preterm birth.