Christmas has come and gone but winter is still here. The short days and frosty weather has us dreaming of a sunny beach holiday in the Tropics. But there’s also a serious health benefit to booking that flight that you might not be aware of – you’re probably Vitamin D deficient.
Official bodies state that 90% of the UK is lacking Vit D, while 5%-20% of the population are in a state of severe deficiency. The main source of Vitamin D is from direct sunlight, and, according to UK Government guidelines, we only get enough sunlight to make Vitamin D between mid-May and September.
Why does that matter?
The vitamin helps an array of bodily functions, such as:
- Immune booster – it helps keeps your immune system strong and healthy
- Auto-immune protection – many conditions such as MS, Crohn’s, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hashimoto’s and other auto-immune conditions have been linked to Vitamin D deficiency
- Cancer protection – there is also links between vitamin D deficiency and certain cancers
- Bone and muscle health – promoting bone health and regulating vital calcium levels
- Brain health – New studies show low vitamin D levels may impair cognitive function
- Heart health – prevents calcium build up in the arteries, helps to normalise blood pressure and reduce inflammation
- Skin – prevents excess cell proliferation (eg psoriasis, eczema)
- Blood sugar balance and insulin control –regulates blood sugar and prevent insulin resistance.
Besides lack of exposures to sun, people with darker skin and women who are pregnant will need extra vitamin D.
Likewise, obesity, genetics and stress all play a part in your Vitamin D stores.
What can you do?
Eat oily fish, egg yolks, organ meats to top up your levels during the winter. And consider adding Vitamin D3 supplement to your daily routine. Speak to your GP for a test to determine how much you need to supplement.
Find out more about Vitamin D and other health issues: happyhormonesforlife.com
Nicki Williams is a qualified Nutritional Therapist, author, speaker and founder of Happy Hormones for Life, helping women to get back to their absolute best – slimmer, energized, more productive and in full control of their hormones!